Awarded by the President of the United States for either of the following:
- Promotion of Technology. The impact of the contribution on the economy, environment or social well-being of the U.S. judged by:
- Demonstrated, successful accomplishment. The contribution results in a competitive advantage in domestic and/or foreign markets, provides economically feasible environmental protection, or improves health care or safety.
- Technological merit.
- Role of nominee. Considerations include risk-taking, vision, persistence, management skills, and entrepreneurial or organizational skills.
- Promotion of Technological Manpower. Contributions to the promotion of technological manpower are weighed on the basis of:
- Improvements in the resulting quality of technological manpower.
- Alleviation of manpower shortages.
- Motivation and improved performance of available manpower.
All of IBM’s key business lines – hardware, software and services, and the researchers who conceived and invented Blue Gene – along with IBMers everywhere, can share in this honor and recognition.
– Sam Palmisano